12.30.2010

Time to Reassess

The end of the year is a good time to look at the person you have been and try to figure out where you want to go. Of course it's only an arbitrary time marker some pope put into place five hundred years ago. It was also time for a doctor to take a look at me, or more specifically in my ear. And it's never a good thing when your doctor is surprised and rushes away to give you a prescription in vicodin.
So I'm on the stuff for the first time in my life and watching more television than should be natural while I wait for my health to return and the inevitable demands of work and school to come back. I've had a very nice holiday season and got to spend some great time with my family. My sister gave me this book: Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same.

 
I think she got it for me because she knows I like the adorable little chickens that grace its pages. But really, the title could be me. And then there's all this reality television with people who have gone through genuinely tough times and keeping their positive attitudes throughout it all and making the best. I've been watching Undercover Boss, which is largely about spoiled bosses coming down and seeing how hard the entry level work at their companies really is. But you know what? I'd struggle to do that work too. I don't work on the front lines, and I don't have a sob story like many of the people they highlight. And yet these people do their best to help others and around them and touch lives where they can.
So maybe it's the drugs talking, but maybe 2011 is a year where I can leave some of my baggage behind and look to the future. I don't have a physically difficult job and I don't have personal circumstances to cry about. I have it pretty easy. And it's time I looked around me and started to use my advantages and my experience to give back and help others along the way. I need to stop waiting for someone to pick me up out of my whining and dissatisfaction and pick myself up and get it done. I have so much to offer if I can get my past my own selfishness and pettiness. So here's to hoping 2011 is the year for that for me.

2 comments:

  1. chall22:07

    hm, I wonder if that's my book for January.... Have you read it yet?

    happy new years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only about half of it, but it's pretty amusing. You could probably breeze through it in a book store in about thirty minutes. And happy new year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete